Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

News from USL

older | 1 | .... | 191 | 192 | (Page 193) | 194 | 195 | .... | 235 | newer

    0 0

    USL PRO Game Report

    Friday, May 30, 2014

    ROCHESTER, N.Y. – The Rochester Rhinos played to a 0-0 draw with the Richmond Kickers in Sahlen's Stadium on Friday night. Rochester rookie goalkeeper John McCarthy made two saves, as did the Kickers' Joe Willis as defenses held sway throughout the 90 minutes.

    The first scoring opportunity arrived in the 14th minute when Kickers striker Matthew Delicate was fouled near the midfield stripe. Midfielder Michael Callahan took the ensuing free kick and found the head of center back William Yomby 12 yards out on the left side of the Rhinos penalty area, and the defender directed his header toward goal, only for his effort to be blocked down at the top of the six-yard box. George Davis IV was the first to the bouncing ball and he put his shot on target, but McCarthy dove to his right to parry the ball around the right post for a corner kick. Davis IV had a second chance on the ensuing corner kick when his shot deflected on its way to goal, but McCarthy was able to get to the rebound.

    In the 31st minute the Rhinos had their first chance of the match. After a spell of possession, captain Tyler Rosenlund tracked down a through-ball on the right side of the Kickers' penalty area. Rosenlund held up the ball before passing it out to Alec Sundly, who was supporting Rosenlund on the right flank. Sundly received the ball and then whipped a cross into the penalty area where he found the head of Minh Vu. The rookie tried to put his header on target but his effort flashed over the crossbar after Willis came off of his line to challenge.

    Banks controlled a corner kick that the Kickers had cleared from their penalty area on the right flank just before the hour-mark. Banks served the ball back into the Kickers penalty area, but center back Hugh Douglas was there to head the ball away. Douglas' clearance only made it as far as Donnie Smith, who shot the ball through traffic from 16 yards out, but the effort was right at Willis, who was able to parry the shot. The Kickers scrambled the ball away, but only as far as Rochester's Lance Rozeboom at the top of the penalty area, but the midfielder put his effort over the crossbar for a goal kick.

    In the 61st minute right back Pat McMahon stepped into midfield to intercept a Kickers pass, and immediately played the ball to Banks in the middle of the park 30 yards from Richmond's goal. Banks dribbled to the top of the penalty area and hit a shot on goal, but it was easily held by Willis.

    The Kickers responded with a free kick opportunity four minutes later. Callahan served a free kick from just inside the Rhinos' half of the field on the right flank. Callahan's service found Douglas on the right side of Rochester's penalty area 16 yards from goal, and the defender put a looping header on target that McCarthy had to back peddle under before he tipped the ball over the bar. McCarthy punched away the service into the six-yard box on the ensuing corner kick.

    After the Rhinos took four corners in quick succession the Kickers had the next chance in the 80th minute. Shay Spitz found a lane through the Rhinos' midfield that he used to get within 25 yards of goal before he hit a shot. The shot quickly deflected off a Rhinos defender, wrong-footing McCarthy in the Rhinos' goal before it looped harmlessly over the crossbar for a goal kick.

    Richmond got a chance on the the counter-attack four minutes later as Callahan had the ball tackled away from behind by a recovery run and slide tackle from Rochester substitute Alex Dixon 40 yards out from goal. However the loose ball found the feet of Davis, who played a one-two with substitute Tishan Hanley at the top of the box that put Davis through into the Rhinos penalty area. Davis put his shot into the side netting for a goal kick.

    One minute later substitute Colin Rolfe had a chance at the other end for the Rhinos with his first touch after coming on. Fellow substitute Johnny Mendoza served a cross into the far post where Rolfe headed his effort just over the cross bar for a goal kick.

    McCarthy now has a 3-0-3 record in his six league starts with one goal conceded and five shutouts. McCarthy leads USL PRO in both goals against average (0.167) and clean sheets. As a team the Rhinos maintained the league's second-best record in goals conceded and have only allowed four goals in their last nine league matches.

    The Rhinos' next home match is on Saturday, June 7th at 7:05PM against the visiting Pittsburgh Riverhounds. Tickets for any match on the Rhinos' home schedule will be available by by calling (585) 454-KICK (5425), by visiting the MVP Health Care Box Office at Sahlen's Stadium, or by visiting Rochester Rhinos season tickets, flex packages and group ticket sales are also currently available. 

    0 0

    PDL Game Report

    Friday, May 30, 2014

    PORTLAND, Ore. – Forwards Ben Strong and Kharlton Belmar scored first-half goals as the Portland Timbers U-23s earned their first win of the season with a 2-0 victory against Puget Sound Gunners FC on Friday afternoon in a Providence Health & Fitness Day match at Providence Park in front of a PDL-record crowd of 8,207.

    After back-to-back road matches, the Timbers U-23s (1-1-2, 5pts) returned to the Rose City and dictated the tempo early in the match. Portland earned two corners within four minutes and controlled the majority of possession. Strong made his debut for Portland and scored his first goal in the 11th minute to give the Timbers U-23s an early lead. Defender David Rose curled a corner kick high to the far post as Strong made a late run, sliding in unmarked to put the ball into the net.

    Portland’s possession and offensive pressure kept Puget Sound (1-1-1, 4pts) from producing much offense while the home side doubled its lead in the 28th minute. Fluid passing opened space on the right flank for defender Dennis Castillo to float a cross to Belmar in the penalty box. Belmar rose and directed a header into the net for his second goal of the season.

    The Timbers U-23s nearly scored a third goal in the 33rd minute as midfielder Sam Gainford was sent through on goal by Strong, but Puget Sound goalkeeper Jason Dodson blocked the shot with an outstretched leg. Midfielder Omar Holness then struck the right post from distance with a shot in the 61st minute. Dodson made several saves for Gunners FC, including another kick-save in the 70th minute on a low shot from Belmar.

    Portland outshot Gunners FC 25-6 and forced Dodson to make 10 saves. Timbers U-23s goalkeeper Brendan Moore wasn’t called on to make a save until second-half stoppage time, ending the game with two.

    0 0

    OKC Energy FC News Release --

    Friday, May 30, 2014

    OKLAHOMA CITY – OKC Energy FC hosts the New York Red Bulls Reserves on Saturday evening at 7 p.m. CT at Pribil Stadium. Tickets remain for the game and can be purchased online at or by calling 235-KICK. The game airs live via YouTube Live and can be heard locally on 96.1 FM KXY.


    Energy FC enters Saturday’s game with a 2-7-0 record (six points) with shutout wins over Orange County (2-0) and Arizona United SC (4-0). Energy FC has dropped five straight games, including two to defending USL PRO champion Orlando City. The side has been led by forward Kyle Greig, who has three goals in USL PRO, and will be looking for its first home win of the season against the Red Bulls Reserves. Currently sitting four points out of the playoff positions, a win would be a big boost to Energy FC's postseason aspirations.

    Festivities begin at 4 p.m. CT at the Chesapeake Energy lawn. Beverages for purchase, along with family-friendly activities, are available at the lawn for fans until 7 p.m. Admission to the lawn event is free. Also taking place at the Chesapeake Energy lawn is the Cleats for Kids summer kickoff, featuring live music and food trucks.

    Parking for all Energy FC home games is available at the Chesapeake Energy parking garage #1 south of NW 63rd and Western. A shuttle is available for fans at the lawn party to the stadium beginning at 5 p.m. for $1 per person each direction. Complete details regarding parking and shuttle services can be found here.

    Stadium gates open at 5:30 p.m. CT. Programs are also available free of charge. The box office opens at 1 p.m. for fans wishing to purchase tickets to the game. A limited number of tickets are also available for purchase at the Chesapeake Energy lawn beginning at 4 p.m.

    Fans are asked to refer to the FAQs at for information regarding prohibited items and other necessary information related to attending Saturday night’s contest.

    0 0

    USL PRO Game Report

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Wilmington Hammerheads claimed their fourth consecutive league victory as they took a 2-1 victory against the Charlotte Eagles on Saturday night at the Queens Sports Complex. Toronto FC loanee Manny Aparicio and Steven Miller scored first-half goals for the Hammerheads, while Drew Yates pulled a goal back late for the Eagles, but Wilmington was able to claim all three points to continue their move up the USL PRO standings. 

    The opportunities for both teams started off with a free kick in the fourth minute for Wilmington that was blocked by the Eagles defense. The Hammerheads came out strong and capitalized on their opportunities in the first half, outshooting the Eagles 6-2, and opened the scoring in the 13th minute when Aparicio took a through-ball from Samuel Ochoa and slotted the ball past Brock Duckworth. The Eagles created some chances and had an opportunity came from Wells Thompson in the 26th minute but his shot went just wide of the post.

    In the 28th minute Wilmington threatened again but their corner was saved by a Matt Gold header off the line. Four minutes later, however, the Hammerheads struck again when Miller's shot took a deflection off Bilal Duckett that wrong-footed Duckworth and found the back of the net for a 2-0 halftime lead.

    The Charlotte coaching staff made some changes in the lineup, inserting Jorge Herrera, Drew Yates and Juan Guzman hoping to inject some life into the squad at the break. Ben Newnam had a good chance when he ripped a shot towards Wilmington goalkeeper Quillan Roberts but it was well saved by the Toronto FC loanee. Charlotte created another opportunity from David Geno in the 66th minute, but again the shot was scooped up by Roberts.

    Tensions came to a high in the 72' when the Hammerheads were given two yellow cards in less than five minutes, and that trend continued for the remainder of the game as the Hammerheads ended up taking 12 fouls in the second half alone (17 fouls total).

    The Eagles got on the board in the 90th minute when Yates rocketed a right-footed shot past Roberts into the upper corner of the net off a pass by Geno. The Hammerheads would see out stoppage time to earn all three points, and avenge their only loss in the league this season.

    Charlotte will look to snap their three-game league losing streak when the expansion side Oklahoma City Energy FC come to town on Saturday, June 7th.

    Tickets are available at a discounted price until Saturday morning (midnight.) Purchase yours today at

    0 0

    Reading United AC News Release --

    Friday, May 30, 2014

    READING, Pa. – With their sights firmly set on the top of the PDL's Mid Atlantic Division standings, Reading United welcome F.A. Euro to Wilson's Gurski Stadium on Saturday night at 7 p.m. With a win Saturday night, Reading could jump to the top of the division.

    In 2013, Reading claimed all six points off their rivals from New York City, scoring seven goals across two matches. In the first ever meeting between the clubs, United traveled to the Aviator Sports Complex in Brooklyn and claimed a 4-0 victory. Kadeem Dacres fired home two goals and Alex Bono recorded four saves to earn the shutout. Two weeks later, United hosted F.A. Euro and ran out to a 3-0 lead as Darius Madison opened the scoring in the 60th minute goal while second-half substitute Larry Ndjock banged in two goals five minutes apart. F.A. Euro made things very interesting as they staged a late comeback, scoring goals in the 89th minute and second-half stoppage time, but United held on to earn the 3-2 win.

    Reading return home looking to put Tuesday's heartbreaking 2-1 defeat to the Rochester Rhinos in the third round of the U.S. Open Cup behind them. Unbeaten in league play, United will want to get back to their winning ways in front of the hometown faithful. Reading has turned their new home field, Gurski Stadium, into a fortress with the boys in blue and gold logging eight goals in their first two home matches this season.

    In their last home match, United turned in their most complete performance under new Head Coach David Castellanos. The Reading defense held the Baltimore Bohemians off the scoreboard, while Madison's two-goal performance sealed a 3-0 victory for United.

    While Madison, a product of the Philadelphia Union Academy, has been grabbing the headlines with his early season form, other members of United's potent attack are also in good form. Midfielder Graham Smith leads the team with two assists, while Oumar Ballo, Nick Surkamp and Max Touloute have all scored for Reading.

    F.A. Euro head to Reading looking to improve upon their fifth-place position in the Mid Atlantic Division. In their last match, the New York-based club secured a 2-1 home victory against the Bohemians. Jacob Love opened the scoring for F.A. Euro while Jonathan Watkin secured all three points for the home side with his second-half penalty kick.

    Reading United's next league match at Wilson High School’s Gurski Stadium will be played on Friday, June 20th when the arch-rival Ocean City Nor'Easters make their annual trek to Berks County. Tickets are available at Reading United offer 2014 Game Day Youth Packages, Group Discount Packages, Birthday Parties and Fundraising Ticket Packages. Contact our ticket sales team at for all your group needs.

    0 0

    Thunder Bay Chill News Release --

    Friday  May 30, 2014

    THUNDER BAY, Ont. – Following a disappointing loss in the PDL Championship Game to host Austin Aztex last August, the Thunder Bay Chill are looking forward to opening their 15th PDL season, and hoping for a couple of wins this weekend in Winnipeg. The Chill face WSA Winnipeg on Saturday night at 8 p.m. ET and Sunday afternoon at 2:30 pm ET.

    WSA Winnipeg (1-1-1) has already played three games and sits third in the Heartland Division with four points, all picked up on the road. The Chill’s record against WSA Winnipeg, which entered the league in 2011 is 10-1-1 but “we can’t take them lightly” said Chill head coach Tony Colistro. 

    “They picked up 4 points in 3 games on the road last week without their full roster, so we can expect two hard-fought matches from them,” Colistro said.

    In addition to the new jerseys the Chill are sporting to mark the 15th anniversary, the team also has 12 different players from the 2013 squad.  The team has only been together since mid-May with only two exhibition games under their belt.  Going into two full PDL games this weekend will create some challenges. The Chill are looking for great goaltending from returning keeper Daniel Alvaro who is looking to fill the huge shoes left from 10-year veteran Stephen Paterson.  Also the back four won’t look the same with 6-foot-6 center back Axel Sjoberg currently overseas. The Chill will be looking to the new names on the team to grab the reins and jell quickly as a team if they expect to make a run towards the playoffs.

    Both games will be played outdoors at the Winnipeg Soccer Complex on a turf field.  Expect to see a young eager WSA Winnipeg team that would like nothing more than to start adding to their wins and try and balance out the lopsided advantage that the Chill has had during the past three years. 

    “This is a great rivalry between WSA Winnipeg and us, and we have been fortunate to have dominated in most of the games thus far”, said Colistro.  “We hope to continue that trend this weekend."

    WSA Winnipeg and the Chill play each other four times this year.  WSA will return the favor when they travel to Thunder Bay for two matches on June 20th and 21st.

    0 0












    LA Blues News Release -

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    LOS ANGELES, Calif. – The LA Blues (3-0-0) will take on the Colorado Pride (1-0-0) on Saturday in a crucial W-League Western Conference early-season meeting of undefeated teams at the StubHub Center. The game will be the first meeting between the Blues and the expansion Pride.

    The Blues are running on a three-game unbeaten streak that has seen them outscore opponents 19-0 while the Pride kicked off their season with a 1-0 victory againnst the Colorado Storm thanks to a goal from Mallory Weber. 

    Coming off a convincing 3-0 win against the Seattle Sounders on two goals from Mele French and another from Katie Stengel, the Blues will look to continue distancing themselves from the rest of the Western Conference. They currently sit comfortably atop the conference table with nine points above the second-place Colorado Rush, who have five points. 

    The match will be part of another doubleheader at the StubHub Center, this time with MLS side Chivas USA. Fans can purchase discounted tickets for the Chivas USA game using the code “blues14” and use it to enter the Blues game. More information is available at

    Saturday’s match between the Blues and Pride will kick off at 5 pm PT at the Track and Field Stadium before Chivas USA takes on the Philadelphia Union at 7:30 p.m. PT in the main stadium.

    Fans can follow the official LA Blues twitter account (@LABluesSC) and facebook Page (/LABluesSC) for live game updates.

    0 0

    PDL Game Report

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    EUGUENE, Ore. -- Lane United FC continued its strong start to the 2014 PDL season as it took victory against the Puget Sound Gunners 4-1 in a comprehensive victory on Saturday afternoon at the Willimane Center. The Gunners, who had finished a 2-0 loss to the Portland Timbers U-23s only 24 hours before the kickoff of the Lane United match, looked very tired from the outset and could barely manage to disrupt the home team’s patient passing rhythm for the first half.

    After only two minutes, Lane's Martin Lukaschik played in Khiry Shelton with an excellent through-ball, and the big forward, who spent most of the match playing a slightly deeper role at the point of attack, glided in and finished at the near post. He was then instrumental in maintaining United’s control over possession for the rest of the half, simply turning around as soon as he felt opponents closing in, holding off a challenge or two with his 6-foot-3 frame, and recycling the ball to any one of Lane United’s three hard-working midfielders, Lukaschik, Baldo or Pancho Vizcaino.

    Shelton was at the heart of Lane United’s second goal, the product of a counter-attack straight from a Puget Sound free kick on wing. As soon as the clearing header fell at Conner Bevans’ feet, 45 yards from his own goal, it was apparent that Puget Sound had only one man back to cover the rest of the field. Shelton raced down the right channel and Bevans slipped him the ball; when Shelton tried to round the goalkeeper, he was shepherded out too wide. Instead of attempting a narrow-angle shot, he held up the ball, forcing Gunners goalkeeper Jason Dodson out of his net. He then picked out Bevans with a low hard pass, and the Gonzaga striker scrambled it into the net with three defenders back desperately on the line.

    Puget Sound rarely got a taste of possession; their best half-chance came when their lightning-quick forward Ashkanov Apollon pounced on an attempted pass between Duran Lee and Casey Phillips, the Lane United center backs, and raced in on the goal. For a second he was away, but Lee and the bobbling turf both conspired to dispossess him. A few minutes later came the pick of the goals; Phillips collected a Puget Sound clearance from the corner in the center circle, strode forward 10 yards and, since no one had closed him down, decided to have a go and absolutely rifled a left-footed shot into the top left corner from what must have been 35 yards.

    Shelton had added Lane United’s fourth early in the second half as he charged down the ball as Dodson tried to clear an under-hit backpass. Shelton created his own luck by throwing himself into the situation and was rewarded when the ball deflected off him straight back into the vacated net. Lane United was reduced to 10 men when Amer Sasivarevic was sent off in the 55th minute after be brought down Brady Ballew as he broke in on goal. 

    The pattern of the game shifted after the red card, as Lane United sat back to try and preserve the shutout and Puget Sound moved the ball around the attacking half, albeit without creating many clear-cut chances. Puget Sound was able to pull a goal back when its left-back, Justice Duerksen, hit an inswinging cross and no-one, including United goalkeeper Chris Lowrimore, was able to get a touch on it as it bounced in slow-motion toward the back post. There was little goalmouth action for the final 15 minutes. The match phased out quietly, and when the final whistle eventually blew, Lane United had preserved its unbeaten start and moved to seven points, good for third place in the Northwest Division for now and their first away match, to Kitsap in seven days, looming.

    0 0

    USL PRO Game Report

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Corey Hertzog scored his first goal of the season in USL PRO play on Saturday night as the Lions took a 2-0 victory over the Charleston Battery at ESPN Wide World of Sports on Saturday night. Kevin Molino added another finish late in the second half , to extend his lead in the race for the USL PRO Golde Boot with his ninth goal of the season.

    “It’s been an incredible effort from the guys, dealing with 10 games in a month,” said Head Coach Adrian Heath. “Hats off to them, but we’ll get back to work on Tuesday and begin preparing for Montreal.”

    Orlando City spent the majority of the first half attempting to break through Charleston’s tight defensive lines, as the Battery had ten men behind the ball with hopes to employ Mamadou Diouf’s pace on the counter.

    Due to Charleston’s defensive tactics, the first half seemed destined to end scoreless, but Hertzog broke the deadlock when he scored his first goal of the season, in league play, in the 42nd minute. The forward was in a good position when Molino headed the ball into the box and flicked it past Charleston Goalkeeper Odisnel Cooper, resulting in a 1-0 lead at half-time.

    “Overall we’re really pleased for Corey,” said Heath. “He got his reward tonight for the work he’s put in throughout the past few games.”

    Prior to Hertzog’s finish, Orlando had several other chances to score towards the end of the first half. City’s first real chance came in the 21st minute when Austin da Luz created separation and curled an effort that went just over the crossbar.

    One minute later Molino ran past the Battery defense and surged into the box after a poor giveaway from Charleston near the halfway line. Rather than shooting from a difficult angle, Molino opted to pull it across the box for Hertzog, but Charleston defender John Wilson was able to get there first and clear it away.

    Molino had another prime chance inside the area in the 33rd minute but couldn’t latch on to da Luz’s ball that skipped off the wet surface.

    Charleston, on the other hand, had two half-chances early on but Gallardo and the Orlando managed them capably. In the 11th minute, Battery midfielder Zach Prince produced a strong effort from the edge of the area, but Gallardo was able to parry it wide, allowing Brad Rusin to clear the danger away. Three minutes later, Quinton Griffith fired from 25 yards, but it ended up being a comfortable save for Gallardo who has been in excellent form this season.

    The second half featured an increased sense of urgency to go forward from Charleston, who were in desperate search of an equalizer. Throughout the first 20 minutes of the second half, the Battery created several nervous moments for Orlando through crosses and set-pieces.

    The closest chance for the South Carolina-based club came in the 53rd minute when Diouf’s strike rattled off the far post. Diouf, who had scored Charleston’s only goal of the season against Orlando, came within inches of scoring his second goal of the season.

    Unfortunately for Charleston, Kevin Molino, who leads USL PRO in goals, added the final dagger in the 76th minute. Battery goalkeeper Odisnel Cooper played a poor clearance that went directly to Brian Span, who quickly played it wide for da Luz, who unselfishly pulled it across to Molino for a comfortable tap-in.

    City’s next match will take place on Saturday, June 7, against the Montreal Impact Reserves. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. at ESPN Wide World of Sports. For more information, visit

    0 0

    USL PRO Game Report

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    HARRISBURG, Pa. -- The Richmond Kickers grabbed a dramatic 3-2 victory against the Harrisburg City Islanders in front of 2,233 fans at the Skyline Sports Complex on Saturday night as a stoppage-time goal by Kyle Porter earned his side victory. Harrisburg had tied the game in the 90th minute, and were on the verge of earning a point, but Richmond struck quickly following the ensuing kickoff to move into second place in the USL PRO standings.

    The Islanders struggled offensively in the first half as Richmond dominated the field early. The Kickers opened the scoring in the sixth minute as midfielder Jared Jeffrey rifled home a finish from just outside the penalty area off the feed from defender Taylor Kemp. The Kickers remained on top for most of the first half as the Islanders failed to execute effectively in the attacking third, only getting off two shots from midfielders Jimmy McLaughlin and Jose Barril respectively.

    Harrisburg turned things around in the second half, and came out looking like a new team, both offensively and defensively. In the 55th minute, McLaughlin took advantage of a small gap in the Richmond defense and delivered the ball to the Islanders' leading scorer Morgan Langley, who forced the ball into the back of the net to even the score. The quickly Kickers proceeded to answer Langley's efforts with a goal of their own in the 62nd minute as halftime substitute Matthew Delicate slid in to finish Porter's cross from close range to give Richmond a 2-1 lead.

    Harrisburg would tie the game again in the final minute when Cristhian Hernandez had the chance at free kick which was fired toward the heart of the Kickers' penalty area. After a scramble of both Kicker defenders and Islander forwards, the ball found the back of the net off a Kickers' defender to tie it up at 2-2. The Kickers would quickly hit back, however, as Porter immediately answered with a goal off an assist from midfielder Luke Vercollone to give the Kickers their sixth win of the season.

    The Harrisburg City Islanders are set to play the Pittsburgh Riverhounds on Sunday night at Highmark Stadium in Pittsburgh. The Isles will return to their home at Skyline Sports Complex June 14 at 7 p.m. against the Riverhounds. For more information please visit or phone 717-441-4625 (GOAL).

    0 0

    PDL Game Report

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    READING, Pa. – Sometimes the best offense is a good defense. On Saturday night, the Reading United defense scored two goals and kept a feisty F.A. Euro side off the scoreboard en route to a 3-0 win in front of a large hometown crowd at Wilson High School’s Gurski Stadium. United exploded for three second-half goals to stay unbeaten in league play in 2014. With the win, Reading kept pace with the Jersey Express in the race to claim the PDL’s Mid Atlantic Division title.

    Looking to rebound from Tuesday’s loss to the Rochester Rhinos in the third round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, Head Coach David Castellanos took advantage of Reading’s roster depth and shuffled the line-up. Castellanos made eight changes to his starting line-up, with only Darius Madison, Oumar Ballo and Ignacio Maganto retaining their starting spots.

    In the opening minutes of the match, each side looked to take charge of the game as the clubs exchanged possession in the midfield. United established its offensive rhythm as Madison marauded down the flanks of the F.A. Euro defense. United created the better scoring opportunities through the game's first 20 minutes. The Philadelphia Union Academy product drew a foul on the right side of F.A. Euro’s penalty area in the 22nd minute, resulting in a great free kick opportunity. On the resulting free kick, one of United’s attackers was fouled in the area and referee Eric Weisbrod pointed to the penalty spot. Madison stepped up to take the spot kick, but his effort was well saved by goalkeeper Stanley Purygin.

    United applied heavy pressure on the F.A. Euro goal as they continued to search for an opener. Purygin kept his side in the match, making six first-half saves to deny Reading a goal. At the other end of the pitch, United’s defense blunted F.A. Euro’s attack. Chris Froschauer, making his second start of the season for Reading, only needed to make one save in the opening 45 minutes.

    Looking for more offensive firepower, Castellanos inserted forward Nick Surkamp into the match to start the second half. United responded with Surkamp and Madison hooking up to pepper the F.A. Euro goal. The pressure would finally pay dividends in the game’s 53rd minute.

    After winning a free kick on the right side of F.A. Euro’s penalty area, a short free kick found the feet of Wes Charpie. The defender hit a blistering cross into a packed penalty area. Purygin tried to cut out Charpie’s cross, but he spilled the ball to the feet of Rob Sagel and the Reading center back hammered the ball into the back of the net.

    Having finally breached the F.A. Euro goal, United mounted continuous pressure as the home side looked to extend their advantage. In the 72nd minute, United won a throw in on the right side of the field. Surkamp, who specializes in long throw-ins, launched a throw into the penalty area. United center back Jack Webber rose above the crowd and headed home to double United’s advantage. Webber credited Surkamp for his goal saying, “Nick really helped me out. It was him setting me up and all I really had to do was be there and head it home.”

    Reading capped the scoring in the 90th minute. Madison, who registered seven shots on goal during the match, attacked down the left flank and ran into the penalty area. With time and space to shoot, United’s leading scorer unleashed a thunderbolt that Purygin tipped. Racing in for the follow-up, Surkamp got a head to the rebound and knocked the ball over the goal line.

    With the sound of the full time whistle, United celebrated their third straight win and their second straight clean sheet. Sagel summed up the team’s defensive performance: “When the backline can get results and goals and keep them off the scoreboard, it’s good day. We did well.” Coach Castellanos echoed his center back, “The backline, it was their night. Two great goals and the work they put in there. Good stuff by Jack and Rob tonight.” 

    Reading United return to Wilson High School’s Gurski Stadium on Wednesday, June 18th  when they will host the fifth annual friendly with our player development partners, the Philadelphia Union. Tickets are available at  Reading United offer 2014 Game Day Youth Packages, Group Discount Packages, Birthday Parties and Fundraising Ticket Packages.  Contact our ticket sales team at for all your group needs.

    0 0












    Ottawa Fury FC News Release -

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    OTTAWA, Ont. - Ottawa Fury FC took home a nervy three points against visiting K-W United on a sunny Saturday afternoon at Keith Harris Stadium.  The Fury controlled the match all afternoon, outshooting the visitors 19-4, but only led by a single goal until very late and gave up two quality second-half chances. 

    Arin Gilliland's impressive individual effort put Fury FC up 1-0 after 23 minutes, and Lydia Hastings' easy 85th-minute tap-in sealed the deal for Dom Oliveri's side, which improved to 2-0-0 in the young W-League campaign.

    Oliveri ran the Fury out in an aggressive 4-2-3-1, while Stuart Neely deployed the visitors in a midfield-clogging 3-5-2. Ottawa enjoyed the first real opportunity of the match in the 12th minute when Lisa-Marie Woods saw her initial free kick blocked by the K-W United wall before her left-footed second effort floated just over the crossbar.

    The Fury continued to press and broke through courtesy of Gilliland.  The University of Kentucky standout picked up the ball in the midfield and charged through the heart of the K-W United defense before slotting the ball past 'keeper Alison Gondosch and into the far corner of the visitors' net, bringing the crowd to its feet.

    The visitors pushed back aggressively, with a set of half-chances immediately after Gilliland's goal.

    Eventually, K-W United created its first legitimate scoring chance on a 30th-minute Fury FC defensive breakdown, testing Ottawa 'keeper Jill McVicker from long range.  McVicker was up to the task, diving to deny K-W United striker Emily Brown's effort.

    The Fury Women re-took control of the match toward the end of the first half, with both Kristy Moore and Woods peppering Gondosch but failing to beat the K-W United 'keeper.

    The Fury started the second half with a clear change in mentality as they began to stretch the K-W United defenders and challenge Gondosch more. Ottawa nearly doubled its lead in the 59th minute when Woods unleashed a crisp left-footed effort which was well-parried by Gondosch.

    Just after the hour mark, Gilliland essentially took over the match.  In the 65th minute she sprinted through the heart of the midfield in a way that was eerily reminiscent of her first-half goal before cranking a left-footed screamer which rattled the woodwork and stayed out. A few minutes later she cleanly won an aerial battle inside the K-W United penalty area to send a flicked header inches wide. 

    "Arin could've had three or four goals on her own tonight," Oliveri said.

    Gilliland was at it again in the 75th minute when her long shot was parried by Gondosch, who then denied Fury FC substitute Lauren Hughes on the rebound - miraculously keeping it 1-0 for the Fury.

    It was only fitting that the 85th minute put-away goal for Fury FC was started by Gilliland.  The US U-23 international slotted a ball perfectly down the right flank for Moore, who latched onto it before firing a shot on net.  Gondosch made the stop, but the rebound landed square for Hastings, who easily deposited the loose ball and clinched the three points for the Fury.

    There were some nervous moments late in the match for Oliveri's side, which conceded an injury time penalty.  Cassie Wheldon stepped up for K-W United, but her penalty shot was superbly denied by a diving McVicker to preserve the shutout.

    "We came out slow, again," Oliveri said.  "It was really frustrating; we weren't very dynamic up front and we spent the duration of the first half chasing things we shouldn't have.  It's a good win, and Arin was one of the few players that showed up to play for us today - without her, we might not have gotten the three points at all."

    "It's always difficult to get a result against a classy organization like Ottawa," Neely said. "They have some excellent players and there was a bit of a gap, which was clear in the second half.  Our keeper, Alison Gondosch, has a lot to be proud of, the way she responded with her second-half performance.  We'll focus on some things and look to get a result next week against the Fury at home."

    The Fury Women will be back in action next Saturday as they'll travel south to face the K-W United.

    0 0
  • 06/01/14--08:53: Aztex Rally Past Sockers
  • PDL Game Report

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    AUSTIN, Texas -- The Austin Aztex (4-0-0) needed late game heroics to dispatch the Midland/Odessa Sockers and were able to turn to Chuy Cortes to seal the win. Cortes, who scored the game-winning goal versus the Sockers on May 17, came up with another long-range strike to give the Aztex the win in front of a season-high crowd of 1,971 at House Park.

    The Aztex would find themselves in a hole early in the game when the Sockers forced a turnover in the middle of the field. With their quick, counter-attacking style, the Sockers made their way up the field, where Tanner Brock found Rory Knibbs with a pass on the left side. Knibbs curled the ball around Aztex goalkeeper Devin Perales to give his side the lead.

    The Aztex nearly equalized a minute later when Andres Cuero got his head on a cross for a strong shot, but it went just over the crossbar.

    The Aztex looked to prevent the Sockers from adding to their lead and win the battle for possession. Cuero and Tony Rocha worked hard to swarm the Sockers attack in midfield. Meanwhile, defender Kalen Ryden had a tall order to contain the physical playing style of Sockers forward Tucker Hume.

    The Aztex attack was unable to find the net in the first half despite 13 shots. However, the Sockers defense cracked early in the second half.

    The Aztex were able to tie the game in the 49th minute when Rocha threaded a pass through Midland’s center backs to find Adam Black, who raced to the ball and beat Sockers goalkeeper Clint Long with a shot to the right side of the goal.

    “At halftime we were down and coach just kept us to keep fighting,” Ryden said. “With an early goal in the second half we wanted to step on them in the first fifteen minutes. After that, we just stuck to our game and kept pressing.”

    The Aztex continued to look for the next goal to seal the game. In the final moments of the game, Cortes continued his late game heroics. Bubacarr Jobe set up Cortes with a shot from 20 yards out and Cortes ripped the shot past a sprawled out goalkeeper.

    With the win, the Aztex climb to 12 points and extend their division lead to five points after the Mississippi Brilla (2-1-1) tied the Houston Dutch Lions 2-2 in Clinton, Miss.

    The Aztex will hit the road with a pair of away games against the Mississippi Brilla with an opportunity to grow the lead in the Mid South Division. The first game will be on Thursday, June 5 with the second game on Saturday, June 7.

    “We celebrate tonight and enjoy the time with our team and fans,” Cortes said. “Tomorrow we get focused again and get ready for the next opponent.”

    0 0

    USL PRO Game Report

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    OKLAHOMA CITY – Michael Thomas scored the winning goal in stoppage time of the second half as OKC Energy FC knocked off the New York Red Bulls Reserves 1-0 for its first home win of the 2014 season at Pribil Stadium in front of a sold out crowd of 3,777. 

    Thomas’ game-winner occurred with seconds remaining in stoppage time off a Christian Duke corner kick. Thomas headed the ball to the left corner of the Red Bulls net, past goalkeeper Ryan Meara.

    OKC had several opportunities throughout the match, the first coming in the 26th minute when a shot by Thomas from about 20 yards out caromed off the right post of the Red Bulls reserves’ net. One minute later, Energy FC’s David Leichty had another chance, getting behind the New York defense on a Peabo Doue free kick, but Meara slid over and knocked away the opportunity.

    In first-half stoppage time, Thomas again had an opportunity in close off a cross, but his header sailed just high of the crossbar.

    In the 58th minute, New York had its best chance with a four-on-two fast break led by Red Bulls Reserves’ forward Andre Akpan through the middle of the pitch, but great defense by OKC’s Mark Howard and Gareth Evans halted the break just inside the penalty area.

    Energy FC’s best chance prior to Thomas’ game-winner came in the 68th minute, when a Christian Duke shot from about 20 yards out floated inches above the crossbar. With the win, OKC improved to 3-7-0 on the season.

    Energy FC’s next match is this Friday when the squad travels to Wilmington, N.C. to face the Wilmington Hammerheads in a 6:30 p.m. CT start.

    0 0












    Washington Spirit Reserves News Release -

    Sunday, June 1, 2014

    HOLMDEL, N.J. - A goal by midfielder Katie Yensen and an impressive defensive stand enabled the Washington Spirit Reserves to outlast a talented New Jersey Wildcats squad 1-0 Saturday night in New Jersey. Yensen’s tally, her first goal of the season, proved just enough to squeak by the division front-runner Wildcats.

    In a match that was never clearly decided until the final whistle, New Jersey and Washington battled relentlessly throughout the cool, comfortable evening. The Spirit Reserves struck midway through the first half when Jen Skogerboe broke free down the left side and drove a low cross to split two Wildcat defenders. Yensen seized the opportunity and plastered her shot into the bottom right side of the New Jersey net for the eventual game-winner.

    Yensen’s goal aside, the real heroes of the night turned out to be the cadre of defenders in the Washington defensive third. Fresh off the plane from summer school in Chapel Hill, University of North Carolina center back Satara Murray refused to give a single inch throughout the full 90 minutes.

    Equally up to the task, Meghan Cox and Monica Mendes held firm to lock down the center while defenders Sam Lofton and super-sub Niomi Serrano gave the Reserves a speedy advantage on the outside.

    The stout Washington defensive wall helped Spirit Reserves keeper Adelaide Gay earn her third consecutive shutout.

    The Spirit Reserves continue their road trip Sunday as the take the short drive north to face the historic New York Magic. Match time is slated for 4 p.m. The Spirit Reserves return home June 7 for a rematch against New Jersey. Match time is set for 7 p.m. and will be held at Liberty High School in Bealeton, Virginia.

    0 0

    Pittsburgh Riverhounds News Release --

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Riverhounds will host the Harrisburg City Islanders Sunday night at Highmark Stadium.  This will be the first of three fixtures between the Pennsylvania clubs within the first 15 days of June.  The game is scheduled for a 6 p.m. kickoff and will be streamed live on YouTube.


    Known as the Keystone Derby between the two clubs, the Riverhounds and City Islanders will match up twice at Highmark Stadium and then head to the state Capitol on Saturday, June 14 to complete the three-game series at Skyline Sports Complex.  With three fixtures in just two weeks, Sunday night's meeting will be intense for a full 90 minutes as both sides are focused on gaining momentum heading into the middle portion of the season.

    The two sides are separated by four points at the bottom of the USL PRO table.  Needing a win to gain confidence and some swagger to spark their ascent up the table, the Keystone Derby series will be a critical turning point for one of the Pennsylvania clubs.

    To purchase tickets, visit or call the Box Office at (412) 325-7241.

    The Riverhounds return to Highmark Stadium on June 11 for the second leg of the Keystone Derby against Harrisburg.

    0 0

    LA Galaxy II News Release --

    Saturday, May 31, 2014

    CARSON, Calif. – LA Galaxy II (6-2-3, 21 points) heads to the Pacific Northwest on Sunday June 1 to take on the Seattle Sounders FC Reserves in USL PRO Week 10 action at Starfire Soccer Complex at 1 p.m. PT. All of the action will be streamed live via


    The match is the first time that Los Dos will go up against a MLS reserves squad in USL PRO play as Curt Onalfo’s squad will look to return to winning ways after falling on penalties 3-1 to PSA Elite in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Third Round following a scoreless 120 minutes.

    Last Sunday, LA Galaxy II clinched their sixth victory in USL PRO as they dominated OKC Energy FC from start to finish with an impressive 5-0 win at StubHub Center. Chandler Hoffman and Bradford Jamieson IV each scored a brace while Jack McBean rounded out the scoring with his first goal of the season to seal Los Dos’ biggest ever victory. The win brought LA Galaxy II’s record up to 6-2-3 in USL PRO.

    For their role in Sunday’s win, LA Galaxy II midfielder Bradford Jamieson IV and forward Chandler Hoffman were named to the USL PRO Team of the Week for Week 10 of the 2014 USL PRO season.

    The Seattle Sounders FC Reserves (2-0-2) enter the match unbeaten in the MLS Reserve League action after playing to a scoreless draw at Real Salt Lake on Monday afternoon at America First Field in Sandy, Utah. The match was a purely defensive affair as neither side could produce much attacking flair in the stalemate.

    The Sounders Reserves roster is highlighted by 23-year-old forward Tristan Bowen, who is the younger brother of LA Galaxy II forward Travis Bowen. Tristan Bowen is the first player in MLS history to be signed directly from a club’s Academy as a Homegrown Player after signing with the LA Galaxy in 2008. The younger Bowen signed with the Sounders earlier this year after spending time with Chivas USA.

    After Sunday’s match, Los Dos will return home as they play host to the Dayton Dutch Lions on Sunday, June 8 at 8 p.m. PT at StubHub Center’s main soccer stadium as part of a double header with the LA Galaxy who will take on Chivas USA in the SuperClasico at 5 p.m. PT. 

    LA Galaxy II Season Ticket Memberships begin at just $6 per game. For more information on LA Galaxy, LA Galaxy II memberships, or group and single tickets, visit or call 877-3GALAXY (342-5299).

    0 0

    Victoria Highlanders FC News Release -

    Sunday, June 1, 2014

    REDMOND, Wash. – Victoria Highlanders FC played the second match of its two-game road trip Sunday, conceding a 2-0 defeat to the Washington Crossfire at Redmond High School. With the loss, Victoria moves to 2-2-2 thid season.

    Washington received its goals in a span of five minutes in the second half, with Hamza Haddadi and Christian Rolden finishing rushes up the field to put the side up 2-0. Both goals went unanswered, with Washington goalkeeper Tyler Visitin earning a clean sheet in the victory.

    Similar to their match the night prior, the Highlanders opened the first half dictating play. The Highlanders generated several early chances and were noticeably more urgent in their attempts to get balls towards the net.

    On 13 minutes, Sturrock was taken down at the 20-yard mark that resulted in a free kick for Victoria.  A direct strike on net from captain Tyler Hughes was on target but Washington ‘keeper Visitin was well positioned to absorb the shot.

    Sturrock was the most dangerous player for the Highlanders in the first half, receiving three quality opportunities that included a header from in close that went just high. Minutes later, Sturrock received a cross-pass from left back Andrew Ravenhill before striking the ball just wide of the goal.  His third quality chance on net in the first half came from the top of the 18-yard box after he struck a rocket on net that Visitin had to sprawl to his left to save. Teammates Carlo Basso and Ryan Ashlee also received chances to put Victoria up, but they were unable to convert.

    Matthew Poplawski showed flashes of brilliance for Washington, getting behind the Highlanders defence in the 16th minute, but lacking the finish to put his side up against the flow of play. Poplawski received several additional looks on net that were shot wide.  The first half ended with neither side able to convert.

    Early chances in the second half for the Highlanders included shots from Alex Rowley and Carlo Basso, as well as a promising looking rush from Victoria’s Cam Hundal that saw the forward breaking the line of defenders before the ball was deflected out of play.

    Washington broke the deadlock in the 58th minute, as second half substitute Haddadi redirected a cross in close from Jordan Kollars to put the Crossfire up 1-0.

    After surviving a sustained period of pressure from Victoria, Washington moved in once again, with Poplawski crossing a pass to Rolden that the forward redirected into the net for Washington’s second goal of the game.

    The Highlanders were unable to answer back through the latter half of the second, dropping a 2-0 decision to Washington.

    The loss moves Victoria’s record to 2-2-2 on the season, while the Crossfire earn their first victory of the year. Next up, the Highlanders return home to host the Portland Timbers U-23 at Royal Athletic Park, June 7 at 7 pm PT. For more information, please visit

    0 0

    USL PRO Game Report

    Sunday, June 1, 2014

    TUKWILA, Wash. - The LA Galaxy II handed the Seattle Sounders FC Reserves their first loss of the season, 1-0 on Sunday afternoon at Starfire Stadium. Chandler Hoffman scored the second-half game-winner for Los Angeles while Marcus Hahnemann made four saves for Sounders FC.

    Los Angeles netted the winner in the 76th minute when Aleks Dokovic's cross found Hoffman at the far post and he slotted it past Hahnemann for the game's lone goal.

    Seattle nearly scored just five minutes earlier when Cam Weaver flicked a cross into the box from the left side, but Duncan McCormick's headed attempt sailed over the crossbar.

    Andy Rose nearly opened the scoring in the 15th minute. Aaron Kovar sent a free kick to the far post where Rose's header was stopped by goalkeeper Cody Laurendi.

    Seattle's Sean Okoli created several scoring opportunities throughout the match. In the 42nd minute, he got into the box following a goal kick but was taken down in the box by a well-timed tackle. In the opening minutes of the second half, Okoli sent a pair of dangerous crosses into the box that barely missed his teammates.

    Los Angeles hit the goal frame twice. In the third minute, Bradford Jamieson IV cut inside his defender but his shot from the left side of the box bounced off the far post. In the 51st minute, Jack McBean flicked a shot over Hahnemann that caromed off the crossbar and back into play.

    Seattle's Tristan Bowen left the match in the 11th minute following a yellow card tackle by Daniel Steres and Andy Rose was replaced by Duncan McCormick in the 33rd minute after suffering an injury.

    0 0
  • 06/01/14--23:08: Dayton Beats Silverbacks 6-2











    Atlanta Silverbacks News Release -

    Sunday, June 1, 2014

    WEST CARROLLTON, Ohio – The Dayton Dutch Lions jumped out to a 5-0 lead by halftime and added one more early in the second half en route to a 6-2 victory against the Atlanta Silverbacks Sunday afternoon at DOC Stadium.

    Midfielder Rose Lavelle was a part of all six goals for Dayton (2-2-0) as she scored four goals and assisted on the other two. She started the game with an assist in the fourth minute before scoring in the sixth, 30th and in stoppage time in the first half. Lavelle assisted on one more goal in the 32nd minute and scored the lone Lady Lion goal in the second half in the 56th minute.

    Maddie Clark finally got the Silverbacks (0-4-0) on the board with her first goal the season in the 70th minute. Clark assisted the Silverbacks’ second goal in stoppage time in the second half. Stacey Balaam was on the receiving end of the goal.

    The Lady Lions outshot the Silverbacks 11-2 in the first half as they jumped out to the 5-0 lead at halftime.

    The Silverbacks will be back in action at Silverbacks Park Friday night, June 6, against the same Dayton Dutch Lions. Tickets are still on sale on the women’s page of Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. in Atlanta.


older | 1 | .... | 191 | 192 | (Page 193) | 194 | 195 | .... | 235 | newer